Saturday, June 9, 2012

Wild Strawberries



On my walk last evening along part of the Hiawatha Trail I came across wild strawberries. I don’t see them as much as I did when I was growing up in Cassadaga. The roadside between our house and Emil Bernard’s was loaded with them. Hmm, hmm good. According to one source I consulted on the internet animals and insects that eat wild strawberries include deer, nematodes, mites, slugs, stinkbugs, spittlebugs,ants, butterflies, birds, mice, turtles, and skunks. They didn’t mention bears but around here they should be included on the list. But the most important animal of all was left off the list: humans! I love wild strawberries better than regular strawberries. I pick them and eat them right there where I find them, no washing. Who knows what I’m challenging my immune system with but who cares! Bring on the wild strawberries, and the rest of you animals stay away. They’re mine, mine, mine.



2 comments:

  1. i remember those wild strawberries from Chautauqua County. They WERE the best strawberries. I always thought they were sweeter than the ones from the store.

    I wonder if we grew our own, if they would be better than the store bought? I've thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think almost any food product you grow on your own will be better than what you can buy in the store. There is a pick your own strawberry place here just north of town I'm going to try. But I've always preferred the wild ones to anything else. I hate those huge strawberries you can buy, they definitely are lacking in taste.

    ReplyDelete