Friday, August 14, 2026

Rudolph Grotto Gardens and Wonder Cave

 This week I visited the nearby Rudolph Grotto Gardens and Wonder Cave. I had never heard of them. My friend, Miss Northerner, posted about her recent visit. It's only 76 miles from Tomahawk, so any easy day road trip.

The grotto was constructed by Fr. Philip J. Wagner, beginning in 1928. Fr. Wagner had faced some health issues while studying for the priesthood in Austria, for which he visited the Grotto at Lourdes, France. He promised he would build a shrine to the Blessed Mother if his health was restored. His health was restored and upon his return to the United States after ordination he was assigned to the parish in Rudolph, Wisconsin, where he spent the rest of his life.

He began work first on building the gardens out of the large potato field. He planted many different trees and bushes, and laid out different gardens. In 1927 he made his first attempt to build a grotto, piling up volcanic rocks gathered from nearby farm fields. He knew nothing about construction or masonry so the project failed. In 1928 he began using concrete in the construction and he had success through much trial and error. He had several volunteers who helped him, most notably Edward Rybicki, who began helping him when he was 12. Rybicki remained a volunteer up until his death in 1991.

Today, in addition to the Wonder Cave, there are various shrines and an impressive Stations of the Cross, in addition to the beautiful flower gardens. There are benches throughout the site where you can sit and rest, and admire the surrounding beauty. There is also a picnic area that can accommodate large groups. There is ample parking.

The only charge is for those who elect to go in the Wonder Cave. It is $3 for adults, $1.50 for teens ages 12-17, 50 cents for children ages 6-11, and free for those under 6.

The wonder cave was so interesting. It really gave me an appreciation of the hard work that went into making this cave. I was there on a very hot day, which I wouldn't do again, and it was very pleasant and cool inside the cave. I would caution anyone with mobility issues to probably not go in the cave. There are handrails throughout the cave, and there are lights, but the surface is somewhat uneven and some of the steps are quite high. I also think people over about 6 feet tall would probably have trouble and would be stooped down often. I am only 5'6" tall and I had to stoop several times to avoid hitting my head.

I plan to return on a cooler day. I didn't see everything I wanted to due to the heat.

A side note, you can get your Christmas cards postmarked Rudolph, WI. The procedure to do so is thus:

  •  Address, stamp, and seal all of your individual holiday cards.
  • Put all of your pre-addressed cards into one larger envelope or box.
  • Address the outer envelope to Country Christmas Station, U.S. Postal Service, P.O. Box 9998, Rudolph, WI 54475.
  • The Rudolph postmaster will then take your individual cards, stamp each one with the exclusive "Rudolph, WI" cancellation design, and send them on to your recipients. 

    I plan to do that this year so look for my card come December.

    Please go to Miss Northerner's Facebook page to see the inside of the Wonder Cave, I didn't even attempt to take a video. The Wonder Cave post was on August 2nd. Her page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/missnortherner









  • No comments:

    Post a Comment